Dental Implants: The best Permanent Alternative to Dentures
If you are looking for the perfect alternative to replace your uncomfortable dentures, then implants may just be the best solution for you. Compared to conventional removable dentures, dentals implants offer a more permanent and efficient approach for replacing a missing tooth or multiple teeth. This dental restoration technique involves having a titanium post surgically placed into the jawbone, where it functions as a substitute tooth root to provide a stable anchor for holding the replacement tooth or teeth. As a result, patients get a fixed natural looking dentition, which is more comfortable and functions like their own teeth.
Why Choose Implants over Dentures?
There are many reasons why dental implants are the best alternatives to dentures, including:
– Improved appearance: While implants appear and function like your own teeth, dentures do not look quite as natural. They tend to feel large and bulky, and they also display acrylic rather than your actual gum tissue.
– Improved speech: For some people, getting used to speaking with dentures can be quite difficult and some may even lack the muscle control needed to hold these artificial teeth in place. However, with fixed dental Implants, this difficulty is eliminated, allowing you to speak more naturally with ease.
– Greater Comfort: Compared to dentures, dental implants offer more comfort. This is because, unlike removable dentures which often click and even slip around in the mouth when speaking and eating, implants are permanently anchored to the jawbone so they cannot move about.
– Long-term oral health: Dental implants help to prevent bone resorption (deterioration) which normally comes about with tooth loss. It’s the only tooth replacement technique that preserves and stimulates natural bone; and dentures do not elicit this kind of effect.
– Eat better: While dentures put a restriction on the type of food that one can eat (soft foods are generally recommended), implants offer a greater chewing capability, so you can comfortably enjoy eating a wider variety of food.
– More Convenience: Unlike dental implants which are permanent fixtures, dentures have to be removed and cleaned on a regular basis. They also require denture adhesives to secure them in place, which is quite messy.
– Greater Durability: Dentures require to be replaced relatively frequently, about every 3 to 6 years. On the other hand, dental implants are built to last. They can be used for decades or even a lifetime, if properly cared for.
Candidates for Dental Implants:
Generally speaking, an ideal candidate for a dental implant should be in good oral and general health; and sufficient bone density in the jaw is required for supporting the implant. You should also have healthy gums and be committed to good oral hygiene.
What to Expect After Getting Your Dental Implants:
As you very well know, natural teeth require careful oral care at home as well as regular dental checkups; and implants are no different. Like your own teeth, they too require the same kind of dedicated care. You will therefore require to brush and floss as usual to keep the dental implants plaque-free and clean. Also, follow-up checkups will be scheduled periodically after the treatment so as monitor your teeth, implants, and gums to ensure they’re healthy. The periodontist in this case should work together with you and your dentist to come up with the best care plan for you.
Implant solutions at Malo Clinic:
With about 6 to 10% of the world’s population being toothless – according to United Nations’ World Health Organization records- this problem prompted Dr. Paulo Malo; the founder of Malo Clinic, to address the issue by developing reliable, long-lasting non-removable teeth for the dentally challenged.
At the Malo Clinic Sydney, we offer great, permanent alternatives to removable dentures, including the popular All-on-4 and All-on-4 Zygoma implant solutions. For more information, you can give us a call or book an appointment with us.